Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!!



"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil. 4:13

When I think of the word, Mom, I can't help but think happy thoughts. I am blessed to have a very loving, encouraging woman as my mom. She has been there for me for my whole life cheering me on encouraging me to press on through the good and bad times and put my faith and trust in God.

As a young girl, I remember her letting me play to my little heart's content - whether it be up in the attic of our old 3 story house with my dolls and barbies or running around the park across the street with all my little friends. I think she sort of spoiled me. She always had fun birthday parties for us and exciting surprises for those long road trips.

As a student, I remember her making sure I did my homework, helping me when needed and encouraging me to "calm down" when I became stressed out about a big test or paper telling me that all I could do was put in the time and do my best. I also remember a few... well ok, quite a few occasions where she would bail me out by driving a forgotten book or homework assignment to school just in the nick of time.

As a jr. high/ high school athlete, I remember her being at every volleyball match, every basketball game, every track meet and every softball game. She also was eager to drive me and the team in the big suburban to every summer camp or league game. And she was always in the bleachers cheering me on. It was her who would remind me to trust in God when the pre-game nerves had me all riled up.

As a college student/athlete (I guess you can call me that for my one year of JV basketball at Wesleyan), I remember mom still coming to all my basketball games - even if it meant driving 3 hours both ways sometimes several times in a week. And usually took time to bring me groceries and other fun stuff while she was in town. I'm pretty sure she even went to the laundrymat for me a time or two! She was quick to email or call me and see how things were doing - yet gave me space as I explored my newly found independence.

As a young working wife, it was Mom who encouraged me to be patient, that my turn to be a mom would come soon enough. It was her who helped me learn the art of serving my husband and putting him first in my life (still working on this one).

Now as a young mom, it is my Mom who has been there for me, to help with the boys, to tell me I'm doing a great job and continually reminding me to look up and put my trust in God.

My mom has given me a great example of loving her husband, loving her children and loving God with all her heart. I only hope that one day I will be as great of a wife and mom as she is. The best thing about mom is that she is no longer just my mom, she is also my friend.

I love you MOM!!!! Thanks for spoiling me and loving on me my whole life and most importantly reminding me to trust in the Lord with all my heart.

1 comment:

Linds said...

Such a blessing to have an amazing mother! love to you all!