Sunday, May 22, 2011

Grandma LaDonna

We share dark hair, smiles, an odd combination of love for sports, shopping, searching for recipes ((and baking a little too!)) as well as a devotion to God.

Grandma LaDonna passed away on October 11, 1994.  I was thirteen.  My memories of her are pretty limited.  She wasn't very healthy those last few years.  I still cry that she's gone.  I would give about anything just to spend a day with her.  I want her to meet Todd.  My boys.  And especially, sweet Greichaly.  ((From what mom says, she would have swooned over this Lil' Miss))  I would ask her about her childhood.  About falling in love with Grandpa T.  About motherhood.  About her faith.

This is the only photo I can recall ever seeing of Mom & I with Grandma.  I cherish it.  It makes me determined to take pictures of Mom, Greichaly and I often. 

Mom, Myself at 9 mons & Gma LaDonna - Easter 1982 
Mom, Greichaly at 4 mons &  Me -  April 2011
I'm realizing it's perhaps not the memories I have of Grandma I necessarily miss.  Because I wasn't old enough to appreciate her back then.  But it's more the things about her I never got to experience that I long for.  I cling to the stories Mom and Grandpa T tell me.  She was quite the lady.  Someday I will get my wish.  A day with my Grandma.  I trust she's part of God's Kingdom.  I pray my children will one day grow to walk with Him as well.

My Hope.

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." 
-Revelation 21:4


"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus."
-Ephesians 2:4-7


Despite my sadness. I fully trust Grandma's death was part of God's sovereign plan for her life.  And for mine.
I still miss her.  I always will.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Oh Steph. What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful grandmother.

My grandma died when Andrew was only a few months old and I wish every day she had gotten to know him more. I had 26 years with her (and I know that was longer than most, but I still feel like it was cut short...) and I have lots of memories, so I fill my boys with stories of her.

I love that photo of the three generations (both of them!)

The Fast Family said...

Beautiful Steph! Absolutely beautiful!