Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day - part one

What a great day to honor our fathers - I am truly blessed to have the best Dad in the whole world. I'm sitting here trying to put into words what he has meant to me over the past 27 years.... it wasn't until college that I truly learned to appreciate all my father had done for me in my life. Growing up I loved him dearly - especially when I was hurt, he was doctor so of course he made every hurt better instantly! Though I questioned his rules at times and thought he was a bit old-fashioned I followed him and his rules and I later on realized how much I needed him and his rules and his guidance. I am thankful that he protected me and provided for me so graciously.

Probably what I'm most grateful for is the example he has given me of my Heavenly Father - he has given me a true glimpse at who God is... it wasn't Dad's teaching me the Bible that I remember most, it was more his life example that I recall.

I remember a time in college when I was driving my purple two-door Chevy Blazer (that was a high school graduation gift from my parents and yes, it was purple!) to a college class and got a little too close to a car parked on the side of the road and broke my side-mirror off - it was Dad I called right away bursting into tears and he was quick to say "it's ok!" - that moment reminded me of God's great mercy - forgiving me of my sins.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here - when I think about Dad and how awesome he is and then think how much greater and more perfect God's love is for me I am amazed and blessed. Thanks for being Christ-like, Dad and teaching me the love of the Lord.

Here is Dad with his two kids and two grandkids! Happy Father's Day, Dad!!! I love you!!!


No comments: