Friday, August 19, 2011

School Days

It was a momentous week in the Hohlen household as we sent Carter off to Kindergarten.

The day went as well as can be expected, I was able to take Carter to school without the other kids and enjoyed this time with him.  Not to mention it was probably easier on Turner for us just to leave as he was quite upset about the whole deal (which is a whole blog post of its own)!  Carter was only a wee-bit apprehensive as I left the classroom, but overall just plain excited to see what Kindergarten was all about.  I was distracted by helping with the back-to-school coffee ((ambitious I know, thanks to my dear friend, Amy)) which meant I was at the school another couple of hours before heading home.  It was on the drive home ((alone)), that the tears flowed as the past five years flashed before my eyes.  I was flooded with joy of memories, some guilt of the moments I wanted to send him off, and then excitement for the days ahead.  

We are so thankful for LCS and the option for three-day Kindergarten as all public schools in Lincoln are now five-day programs.  ((not sure what Turner would do if Carter was gone all week!))  We are also thankful to have LOTS familiar faces at the school both on the teaching staff and in the student body.  Not to mention the fact that the school provides a fabulous academic program centered on Christ & the Bible!  What a great arena to prepare our little guy for independence and ((gasp)) a life of his own someday!  I love that we get to send him out and then let him come back to home and help him digest the happenings of the day.

Off to school!!
Sibling photo 
Carter & his teacher, Mrs. Coler
The Kindergartner


After a half-day on Wednesday, today was his first full day and the reports continue to be very good!  He is all smiles when we pick him up, and here are a few comments we've heard:
  • I was SO tired at rest time, but I didn't sleep because of the music they had playing.
  • We had gym class today and guess who I saw?   Mr. Earl!
  • We got to go outside two times!
  • We haven't even used our pencils yet, isn't that weird?  And we haven't even done anything with the alphabet.
  • If you need something opened at lunch (i.e. go-gurt or applesauce) you just hold it in the air and one of the moms will come open it for you!
  • We sing a song about the rules! ((followed by a little version of the song))
I have a kid in school.  Crazy.  Fun.  Lots to learn (for us all).

2 comments:

Dr. and Mrs. Thomas said...

Ry and I just laughed out loud reading this together. what a little stud. So sweet to have a big boy now and in a few short years Turner will be there too along with Ethan and Garrett! YIKES!! Would love to see you again soon.......

Abby McNair said...

pretty sure Mrs. Coler lived down the street from me when I was growing up????? Could that be? Also pretty sure her son Troy was a good friend of my brothers. Love your post! Hope the year goes great! Ali goes off to first grade on Thursday... tear...