Monday, February 22, 2010

Confessions of a Nebraska Stay-at-home Mom #2

I admit it... I really like the internet. It's such an amazing resource in so many ways. I love finding good sales and free shipping at my favorite stores without even leaving the house. I love keeping in touch with old friends and new friends alike via email, blogs and facebook. I love being able to look up bible verses and find the Hebrew/Greek meaning of words. I love using google maps. I love blogging. Etc. Etc.

One thing I am most thankful for about the internet is a group of mommy friends that I *met* (virtually) soon after I had Carter. We all have babes kiddos that were born in March or April 2006 and all ended up looking for mommy advice on the same website (babywhisperer.com). We've been chatting (virtually) ever since... we're approaching FOUR years of chatting. We write about the kids, but also about life. We all come from different backgrounds and most of us different countries. We've been there for each other through a lot of life's ups and downs. I have come to love these girls. I refer to them as my "online friends", Todd sometimes calls them the "cult" - but he has come to appreciate them too (right, honey?!). Usually it's a bit awkward for me to explain who they are. It's really strange to think I've never met any of them in person, maybe someday I'll have that chance, because I feel like I "know" them. For now I'll appreciate the parenting tips, the recipes, the gift exchanges, the sewing advice, sharing pictures and just living life with them (even if from a distance).

So... to Sami, Keri, Sonja, Jodi, Mel, Allison, Efka, Tara, Dee, Monika, Katie, Ali, Kristi, Andrea, LeeAnn, Shanaz, Michelle, and a few others who drop in every so often. You girls are awesome!! Thanks for encouraging me, inspiring me, challenging me, and caring about me! Very thankful for you all!

And to my "real life" friends, now you know who those "strange" names are who leave comments on my blog!!!

My secret is out... I have internet friends....

9 comments:

Peek Thru Our Window said...

I have had this exact same topic started as a post for awhile now...
We love you too Steph!

Outnumbered said...

Awww. I too hope we will all meet too. Maybe Disney is still a possibility!

Mockabee Seven said...

I agree...it's so weird explaining you girls! Thanks for the sweet words! :-) And ditto to all you said!

Lee Ann said...

Love you guys too. I love our little cult and couldn't imagine life without you all. I will keep it short as to avoid the usual snivelling emotional stuff I do. Thanks for the sweet words

from your weird internet friend xxx

Oh and ps - we are saving for Disney! It WILL happen! x

Tara said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has trouble explaining online friends.

Love you all!

kanagata said...

awww Steph, thanks so much! we love you too! I always reffer to you as "my online Moms" ;)))))) Dh's used to it already [if after 4 years it could be "already" ;)] but all other people are kind of shocked.... I wish it wouldn't be so so far to America from Poland :(
love xxxx
Monika

Efka said...

Haa, same here :D
Its weird explaining, but my online moms sound good :P

Leslie said...

I will still claim you! :)

AJ and Dexter's Mom said...

Awwww, so sweet!
I didn't know we were your dirty little secret. I've stopped explaining the situation at this point. I just say things like,
"My friend Steph said ____"
or
"My friend Jodi was mentioning ____"
or
"You'll never guess what my friend _____ said."