Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Potty Training Revisited

So back in FEBRUARY I blogged about the beginning stages of potty training and here it is September and I have yet to blog again - this cannot be good right??

Well it's not THAT bad, but it has definitely been an adventure! Turner seems to lack the motivation - sometimes making it to the potty is just not convenient for him. I will ask him why he didn't tell mommy he had to potty and his reply is usually "I didn't want to". Well, I guess desiring to excel is something we'll have to work on!!

Back in May we decided we were done with the exploration stage and decided to move on to stage two, trial and error. At our house that means we head straight to big boy unders. Well, it so happened the day I decided to start with Turner (my predictable one a day pooper) he decides to poop THREE times in an hour (the yucky kind!) and not make it to the bathroom even once. I know this was not his fault, probably something he ate, but for this newly pregnant momma - that was enough to put potty training on hold for a while.

I think it took me another 2-3 weeks to decide to try again and the second time around it went MUCH better!! We've been stuck in the same spot for a few months - getting it MOST of the time but still a good share of accidents. He seems to do better when we are out and about which is good (although we usually still put him in pull-ups for outings!). In fact, we went on a quick trip to Omaha back in July and he didn't have any accidents the entire trip (despite being in pull-ups) - I was certain he had "arrived" and was fully trained at that point -he was even staying dry overnight, but sure enough within hours of being home he decides to go in his pants.

Now Turner has no problem going if we can actually get him into the bathroom to try (which can still be a battle a lot of time - he's had plenty of discipline involving this!), it's the part about him telling us he has to go that is holding the show up - maybe he really can't tell yet?? I don't know, but I've begun to relax and trust it will come with time and try to remain calm when accidents do happen.

One thing we know is he sure looks cute in his big boys unders....


Despite the challenges of potty training, I do still love my job!



3 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh man, Steph! Ava and Turner are one in the same. This post could've been written about her. She is on her own schedule that is for sure!! Here is hoping to get them completely trained very soon!! :)

AJ and Dexter's Mom said...

You sound just like me with Dexter. Dexter has been able to make himself pee and knows the sensation for months now.

However, if he's bare bottomed, he'll use this knowledge. On his own. He doesn't even tell me. He just heads to the potty and pees all by himself.

But... you stick underwear or pull ups on him, and he ignores the signal and just pees in them. wth?

Let me know if you learn a trick!

Kathy said...

You look'en good T Dub!

Good job mama