So I just realized I skipped writing about Christmas day!!!!! How could I leave you hanging like that?! ;) Haha... ok, for family memory-keeping purposes... how could I skip that???
If you remember from previous posts (someday I'll figure out how to easily link these!) it was snowing and snowing and snowing all Christmas Eve day and this did not end on Christmas day... it was continuing to snow in large quantities. Our drive home from Mom and Dad's was quite an adventure on Christmas Eve, so when we woke up to more snow falling and signs that it had snowed all night, we decided it would be impossible to get to their house in the van.....
Here is a photo of our street the day after Christmas when the snow had finally stopped!
And my darling husband out on snowblower duty!
Thankfully Dad's truck has 4WD so he & Justin were able to scoop themselves out and come pick us up. Not only us, but they also picked up my G&G Martin.... who's driveway looked like this when they arrived! (This a view from in the garage - the drift is about 3.5 ft high!)
They also went out to pick up our good friends- Tyler & Leslie Engel and their kiddos (who weren't able to make it to family for Christmas thus "stuck" spending the day with us). Picking up all of your guests for Christmas dinner....that's some hospitality if I don't say so myself!!!
G&G reading to Carter & Savannah before dinner!
As usual Mom cooked up a delicious Christmas dinner with all the fixings... even after learning only the day before in the middle of a blizzard that the pies, salads and a few other items would not be making it. No one puts on a better spread single-handedly than MOM!!! (I guess I did bring one salad... that she sent me home with ingredients for the night before. Pathetic, I know!)
After dinner and dishes we settled into the post-dinner entertainment. Naps for the little guys, a movie for Carter & Savannah, Scrabble for the ladies and Wii golf for the guys. A fun time of relaxing and enjoying friends and family.
This would be a good spot to have the day end peacefully.... but the real adventure came around 6pm when we decided it was time to take G&G home. Dad & Justin went out to survey the situation and came back saying they were going to need more help and enlisted Todd (I know you are thinking Tyler should have helped too.... but he conveniently didn't have anything but his slippers with him... so he protected the women & children back at the house).
I could go on and on.... because this was a LONG adventure.... but to sum it up 2 hours later (or maybe a bit longer) everyone had been delivered back to their own houses safely with beds to sleep in. There was a period of time where we thought we were going to have a huge slumber party... which was sort of exciting... sometimes I think we should of for the memories.... but with only 2 beds (and 14 people) it was going to be interesting... not to mention not enough toothbrushes and contact cases!!!
(THIS SPACE LEFT BLANK IN HONOR OF THE GROUP PHOTO WE NEVER TOOK... so sad)
All in all it was a blizzardly wonderful Christmas to remember!! Maybe the only one we'll ever get to spend Christmas Day with our dear friends (since I suppose we'll have to share with their own families next year!).
Aw, the memories!!

2 comments:
A truly memorable Christmas! Since we all were safe and warm, it ended up being very enjoyable. It even kept Justin and Mitzi visiting for a bonus three days! No dreaming of a white Christmas here, this was real!!
Thanks to your family, we had a wonderful Christmas in Lincoln!!!!
A few of my favorite things:
--The meal (gotta be one of the BEST I have ever had!!! Thanks Janell!)
--Scrabble games :)
--Adventure getting to and from
--A loving and inviting family to celebrate the day with! We are so appreciative!!!
Bummer about the group photo - how did we forget?! Oh ya, I suppose we were just having too much fun to remember! :)
Post a Comment